Rainy days and cold, windy nights mean more time spent snuggled up indoors. We love the idea of cozy blankets, crackling fireplaces, and of course...hot bowls of soup!
We featured this wonderfully easy, and equally delicious, butternut and apple soup in our live cooking demo on Tuesday last week. Even the kids in attendance requested seconds, so needless to say this is a recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
What is your favourite winter soup recipe?
Carrot, butternut, and apple soup
- 2 onions, chopped small
- 5ml salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 10ml olive oil
- 5ml cayenne pepper
- 1 medium butternut, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 small apples, peeled and chopped (Pink Lady and Golden Delicious varieties work best)
- Water/vegetable stock (enough to cover veggies)
- ½ cup milk/cream (or a non-dairy substitute of your choice - coconut milk works well)
- On a medium heat, fry onions, garlic, salt, and oil until translucent.
- Add cayenne pepper and fry for a further 3-5 min.
- Add carrots, butternut, apples and water/stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down to low and cook until vegetables are very soft +- 3 hours (to shorten cooking time, use steamed or roasted butternut and carrot).
- Take off the heat and blend until smooth.
- Stir in milk/cream.
Tip: You can add a splash of lemon or orange juice, and fresh herbs as desired.