When a bread craving hits, don't venture down the path of processed preservative- and additive-packed commercial loaves.
This raw health bread is nutrient-dense and packed with wholefoods. It also just happens to be raw, vegan, and with one simple substitution, completely gluten-free.
Ingredients:(Makes one medium-sized loaf)
- 1 cup oats (use gluten-free oats if you are gluten-sensitive)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds (use activated pumpkin seeds for an extra nutrient boost)
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 tbsp psyllium husk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of your favourite herb mix (e.g. Italian, mixed)*
- Salt and pepper to taste
*You can also play around with different spices. Cumin and coriander, curry blends, enchilada spice, and cayenne or black pepper are all good options.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and process until coarse mix is formed. Be careful not to blend the almonds too fine.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the almonds with all the the remaining dry ingredients.
- Form the mixture into a loaf and cut into slices. (Use a round cookie cutter to obtain the round slices depicted in our cover shot).
- Place the slices on a dehydrator sheets for 3 hours at approximately 50 degrees Celsius. You will know the bread is ready when the slices hold together. The crispier you want them, the longer you will need to keep them in the dehydrator.
Serve with some fresh basil pesto, hummus, or cream cheese. If you would like to top with sweet toppings, leave out the mixed herbs for a more neutral-tasting slice.
What are your favourite bread alternatives?
Recipe adapted from Rawlicious Delicious' Superfood Bread.